Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Damn Thee, Dairy Demons!

I love my dairy. I frakkin' luuurve it. Give me yogurt! Give me cheese! Give me ice cream, sour cream, cream cheese, creamed corn, crême brulée! Let me slurp that sweetly crafted moo-moo teat-nectar! And lo, I shall low with the delight of a newborn calf.

I'll let that image burn itself into your brain for a wee moment... there. Moving on.

Halfway through a sumptuous Boston Market side of creamed spinach, I concluded that, as the cow must inevitably realize that the line it's following into a dark room does not lead to Splash Mountain, this bovine bacchanalia is over. Sorry, Bessie. My guts just aren't cut out to take it anymore.

I've contemplated vegetarianism before; I don't eat a lot of meat anyway, so as long as I could keep my eggs and cheese, I'd be fine. What? No cheese? No frakkin' cheese?! ¡Ay Dios, que no!

This can't be so. There must be alternatives. I tried rice milk for a while. It's not bad, actually, but good grief, does it have to come in such tiny, easily exhausted containers? I can content myself with sorbet and smoothies; I can eat my cereal with mango juice; but what about my cheese? I suppose there are imitations, but for someone so adamant about real things and no imitations, not to mention having a bank account that can't afford Whole Foods or 100% Organic, Hand-Grown, Vegan Ingredients, it's a suddenly daunting task.

Of course, it also raises the question of how to survive going out to eat. One cannot just order a salad when there are so many delicious delectables out there, waiting to be devoured. Yet, despite these drawbacks, the health is the priority, and a passable alternative must be uncovered. Whether an investment in Lactaid or just a long break from dairy will save the day, this certainly makes my meadows a bit darker. Time for some research. Yes... Research...

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may add your condiments here.