Friday, October 1, 2010

Let's Put a Smile on That Face...

A commonly referenced trait of Asperger's is underdeveloped facial expression. In other words, happiness, sadness, anger, jealousy can all be boiled down to:

^     ^
(o) (o)
U
---

For instance...
Any given person: Hey, Kyle, how's it going?
Kyle: Great!

^     ^
(o) (o)
U
---

Or...
Any given person: Hey, Kyle, how's it going?
Kyle: I'm feeling a little under the weather today, actually.

^     ^
(o) (o)
U
---

Or...
Any given person: Hey, Kyle, how's it going?
Kyle: You are the type of person who disgusts me in every way. Now get out of my sight before I am forced to alter my expression from

^     ^
(o) (o)
U
---

In any case, for starters, my grandma has told me to smile more for years. Ironically, it was a trip to the dermatologist with my grandpa that gave me a little lesson in facial expression. I'll try not to go into too many details (Asperger's symptom) or speak too inappropriately about the situation (another Asperger's symptom), but while the doctor stuck my left sphinctercushion with anaesthetising needles and the warning that "this may burn a bit," I concluded, amidst the searing pain, that if I screwed up my face a bit, a little crossing of the eyes and sticking out of the tongue, it wasn't quite so bad. In short, by emulating some sick love-child of Red Skelton and Medusa, the painful experience actually turned into a rather amusing one. Before I knew it, he'd sliced off the dysplastic nevus, and I was just a bundle of giggles.

~ ~
(oo)
U
O

I'm not sure whether to consider this a step forward or backward. On one hand, I was able to express myself facially, but on the other, it was not exactly the most socially appropriate time to be practicing self expression. Nonetheless, I recommend trying it the next time you find yourself undergoing minor surgery on your birthday.

{Disclaimer: I do not, however, recommend trying it when someone else is undergoing minor surgery on their birthday. It may make you out to be an ass.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may add your condiments here.