Friday, October 15, 2010

From the Rabbit's Mouth

The end of the week holds much to reflect upon. This particular Friday calls me to recollect the wise words of Thumper, the rabbit. You may remember him from his cinematic debut in the movie Bambi, especially his great big feet and penchant for clover blossoms (who can blame him?). But for me, it's his worldly wisdom that comes to mind, expressed in one line more profound than my five-year old brain was able to comprehend the last time I heard it:

If you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all.


In the past few days, I've received a slew of critiques, both public and private, regarding the content of this blog. A fight even broke out on my Facebook profile because of it. The majority of the criticism comes from the vulgarity of the title, though "ass" is a multi-layered word, meaning many things, including donkey, buffoon, jerk, or derriere. I suppose it's true that he who maketh an ass of himself must prepare to be ridden, but by modern tastes, this statement has a wholly different connotation.

The point is this: I am an ass of the third kind, and I am so because I don't know how to limit my words, as Thumper noted, to what is "nice." A lack of understanding of social propriety is one of the most troubling symptoms of Asperger's Syndrome, but rather than keep my mouth perpetually shut as I have for years, I'm going to explore it.

Society has its own sense of disgust, and mine happens to be the opposite (e.g. daring to be so gauche as to publicly confess flatulence). Nonetheless, the intent of this blog is not to go on forever about what an ass I am, nor is it a blatant attack on the self-proclaimed "normal," but rather a way to highlight the areas in which I am most asinine and work on making them less so. While I enjoy my own brand of strangeness to the point of self-indulgence, it is simply not fun to be an alien among people.

That being said, I'm still making my burger, and I'm still working toward Thumper's philosophy. While the best I can do for those Hypothetical Post Viewers who want me to give up the journey or put the "blah" in "blog" is to present my puckered fourth kind, should someone have reasonable suggestions for how to improve the content of this blog or adhere it more tightly to my mission, I will gladly incorporate your advice into each subsequent post. 謝謝. 慢慢吃.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure how to critique the blog since, really, what you post here is pretty much stream of consciousness: your own thoughts laid bare for anyone to see. Really, to critique the blog is a critique on your person; to say, "This is what I think about the way you think."

    But then, in that vein, I do have one critique: Think as freely as you like here. Thumper's wisdom only carries a man so far. Sometimes, you just need to say what needs to be said. If what needs to be said happens to be nice, then so much the better. If what needs to be said isn't so nice, or if it isn't well-received, or if people, for whatever reason, don't like it, then who cares?

    It's your blog, that you create without any support, commercial or otherwise, from anyone else. You aren't beholden to wear the kid gloves in fear that someone might get offended, since the only thing they have to offer you is a page hit and maybe some discussion.

    So I would implore you to post The Truth, no matter how offensive or strange it is nor how much you think it may quail the stomachs of your readership.

    ReplyDelete

You may add your condiments here.