Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Practice

I spent the weekend in Spokane, watching about 1200 caps and gowns file up, across, and off stage. My grandma told me to yell for my brother when he came into view. I found that I couldn't. Seriously. I could not raise my voice.

In 2009, while doing a documentary on the placebo effect, I had my aura read by two different people in two different states. Both readers noticed my crown chakra (mental) was ablaze with energy, while my throat chakra (communication) was about the size of an amoeba or Donald Trump's charm. I've been getting steadily quieter over the years too. I sound perfectly intelligible to myself, because what I say registers clearly in my mind, but it's rare anymore that I don't have to repeat a phrase two or three times to be understood. It gets unnecessarily frustrating.

The cause is two-fold: one, I don't want to be disruptively loud as I was growing up, and two, I prefer most conversations to be private without bystanders leaping into the dialogue at the first convenience. The issue is that my concept of volume is shot to hell. As a child, I was a screamer, an exclaimer, a singer, etc. In short, I was loud all around. It drove many people nuts, particularly the adults in my life, who invariably told me to tone it down. After a while, especially during the pivotal 6th grade year, which saw the first big blow to my self-esteem, I learned that it was better to be silent, discreet, inconspicuous and therefore hidden from critical eyes.

Where this presents a problem is in real social situations, like graduation, or a sports game, or really any exchange in which more than two people are involved. I can't hold my own in these situations. I don't know how to barge in, cut people off, or make my point. I'll start to say something, but it's either too quiet or devoured by the existing momentum of another's soliloquy. I may have a very good idea in mind, but I just can't get it heard. This has been a great contributing factor to my ongoing isolation; it's not that I want to be in the spotlight all the time, but to actually be included, heard, welcomed would be so very nice. Nonetheless, this has remained elusive over the years.

A runner's legs grow thick and strong, a swimmer's arms as powerful as legs. That which is not used atrophies. Such is the case with my voice. There is this need inside me to shout, proclaim, sing, project, SPEAK for crying out loud, but my voice does not follow my heart and stays timid and weak, still afraid of sixth grade disapproval, despite the extraordinary progress I've made in other fields. I understand the mantra of "Practice, practice, practice," but I have no direction to motivate me through the mire of imagined criticism. I'm afraid to sing in my own room and car, for Pete's sake, out of fear for disturbing others with a sound not unlike a cat with its tail caught in a garden edger. Yet, I want to be loud again, badly, and I'd rather not wait until the magical age of 75 when all inhibitions go to shit and I can say and do whatever I want while people understand that I'm just old then smile and nod. Maybe I just need a better grasp of what it is I want to say. What do I want to say?

1 comment:

  1. Interesting post Kyle. I've been thinking about it for several days. First of all, I'll tell you that it made me reflect on how I interact and the effect that my interactions have on others. You see, I'm one of those "jump right into the conversation" types. I've been noticing it more and more over the last few years. Not that I do it more, but that I'm more self aware. Hence I notice that I do it. In fact, I've been trying not to. First of all, because it's rude. And second, because I think the need to be a part of every conversation is a sign of insecurity. On behalf of all the folks like me you interact with, I apologize.

    I wonder, however, if perhaps you're overly worried about this. I mean, not everyone feels comfortable with being assertive and expressive in situations like graduations and such. I say that because I'm more like you describe yourself in this regard and don't want to believe there is something wrong with that. I've just never been able to let loose completely, which has always prevented me from being a part of the loud cheering section.

    You express yourself so well in writing, perhaps that's where your gift lies? Or maybe you could pick a topic or situation where you feel the strongest desire to express yourself and put forth your best efforts there, while not worrying about other, less important settings.

    Or maybe I'm rambling and have no f'ing idea what I'm talking about.

    Either way, keep the posts coming. They make me think and I like that.

    ReplyDelete

You may add your condiments here.